Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Milk

Now, I don't usually drink milk. I find that I feel better if I drink soy milk or rice milk, or just anything that's not cow milk. When I came home for Christmas vacation, my mom got me a half-gallon of Silk (soy milk). I've since used it all up for cereal or using it as a beverage with a meal. No big deal.

This morning I didn't get up early, and everyone else had had breakfast before me -- including Sonnet. She rarely finishes her meal without using up an entire hour or having "coaxing" (in the form of threats -- "Your meal is over in three minutes, darling"), so I wasn't surprised to find a half-drunk glass of orange juice and a bowl with half a Shredded Wheat biscuit, dry. Sonnet also doesn't like having milk with her cereal. Even when she does have it, she reserves a handful of cereal and sets it on the table to munch out-of-hand. She does have eccentricities, so I usually don't think much of things she does.

So, I thought, "Mm, Shredded Wheat sounds good, with a drizzle of local honey on top of it. Mm. Yeah, that's what I'm having for breakfast. I guess if I don't have THAT much milk, it won't hurt my stomach that much." So I got two Shredded Wheat biscuits out of the bag and got a spoonful of honey and proceeded to drizzle honey on top of it. "Wow, how nutritious," I thought, as I remembered honey has healing properties blah blah blah . . .

Then I opened the fridge. Orange juice, buttermilk, sparkling cider, whipping cream, egg nog. Milk? *sigh* Maybe in the other fridge. Soup. No milk. Now, there's a gas station across the street that has milk . . . but I don't want to put on my makeup and shoes and coat to go across the street to get a gallon of milk for $4, which I will only use about 1/3 cup of. So I thought, maybe I won't even bother with the milk; I'll just put the biscuits back. But now they have honey on them. If I leave them on the table, someone will come in and say, "Ooh, honey! Whose hair can I rub it on?" or "Which floor is the cleanest, to drop this on and then run away and act like I don't know anything about it?" I know those very thoughts cross little people's minds. I know it. And, I don't feel good about just THROWING IT AWAY. That's rude. And I wasn't in the mood for rude today, even by my own self.

I closed my eyes in dispair. Then I reached in the fridge for egg nog. I knew I'd hate eating this breakfast today, but I'd gotten myself into my OWN predicament. Arrgh.

I was not disappointed. I recommend NOT having honey AND egg nog in the same spoonful. It's wretched. And I feel kindof dorky even MAKING this recommendation, since who would be foolish enough to even think up egg nog + honey? Many people who read this blog probably even wonder why I'd think up egg nog, because they don't find pleasure in partaking of it.

So, a new recommendation I give unto you, is that you first search the fridge diligently before preparing to feast upon the cereal.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Although, you have to admit, it tasted better than sparkling cider-drenched cereal!

Tigerlilly said...

Hmmm. Very wise, Andrea. Thank you.

Sharlee said...

I would have happily and willingly eaten it with the whipping cream. We grew up with whole cows milk and my mom would scoop out the cream that would rise to the top. We always had heavy cream for ice cream, fresh berries, butter--whatever we wanted to use it for and every once in a while I'd have it over a bowl of cornflakes. Mmmmmm. Can you say heart attack waiting to happen?

Tigerlilly said...

Oh yeah, huh? I should have called you, Sharlee, and you'd have set me straight!! (And it probably would have tasted better than egg nog on my cereal!! You're a smart girl.)