Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Job to Get a Job

It would be really cool to find a job. I do have a job right now. I work part-time as a baker, about 3 to 4 hours a day, except Sunday. Sometimes I work longer, sometimes shorter. It would be great to find a "real job," especially since I do have a bachelor's degree, and also an associate's. Maybe I should have moved to Montana or something. At the bakery, the other baker I work with is 17. I could have had the job I have now, without ANY education. A little disappointing.

I do have two job interviews today, which is nice. Although I do hate interviews. At least SOME of the jobs I've applied for, have shown fruit in interviews. I just need more job OFFERS. And GOOD ones, too. I'm getting pretty desperate. The thought of moving back into my parents' basement has some sort of appeal to me, and it's getting stronger. I'm here to "make something of my life." When I was living there, I did work at a quilt shop -- and that was nice. I was treated really well. Problem was, I didn't bring home a very big paycheck. I have lots of fabric instead. And I didn't really feel like I was making the world all that much better. I wasn't sharing my skills, working with the poor and needy, saving up to buy a house . . . I was just selling fabric and spa chemicals. And I was replaced there by a 17-year-old. Good grief.

What would I like to do in life to feel "fulfilled"? Maybe work in a hospital and save lives. Though I do have a problem with blood and other bodily fluids, and also pain. And the high stress, too. Maybe working at a school, teaching kids to read and do math. Or building homes for people who don't have homes. I don't know.

But right now, my lofty goals are to pay my rent and student loans, and some shelves or dressers to put my clothes & books (living out of boxes is really horrible). I don't think I'm asking for too much.

2 comments:

Rindee said...

How did your interviews go? Where have you been applying? I've always thought it would be hard looking for work in a college town. There are so many students that will work for peanuts that I think it makes it harder for qualified applicants to make a decent wage.
Good luck on your job hunt!

Tigerlilly said...

They both went well. Actually they both wanted me. I chose the lower-paying, fewer-hours job. Call me crazy, but I just don't really want to die just yet. I think if I worked at the dry cleaners, I would probably die in about 3 1/2 weeks. I know the situation a little too well. Working at the artesian bakery, though . . . I think I've made the right choice. ;)