Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Girls' Night Out

Wednesday is chicken cordon bleu soup at Angie's. I told Sharalen that, and she said she'd be by on Wednesday to have a taste. She invited Sharlee (our cousin) to have a Girls' Night Out, and we agreed on a time.

It was fun. I think we solved the problems of the universe. Actually, girls don't solve problems. Guys do that. It's best if guys solve problems amongst themselves. Girls just need someone to say, "Oh, I can understand how you feel. Gosh, that must be horrible," or "I've been through that before; jee, that's hard." Why is that so hard to grasp?

I notice I get a little more uptight when I am talking to my boyfriend about a problem, and he says, "Have you thought about such-and-thus?" or "What you need to do is . . . " and the translation to me is, "Here's more responsibility," or "If you were smart, you would have already solved your problem elsewise." I don't want to hear that. Something CORRECT would be, "Wow, I can tell you're really worried about that. Let me give you a hug," or "Let's solve that problem a little later when we can both think through it. Right now, let's go for a walk or play a quick game of Uno." Really, the message I want to hear is, "You are validated. You are smart but a little frustrated. And you are beautiful and sweet." I don't need someone to tell me how to think. At least, not when I'm emotional and frustrated about something. I don't think I'm all that weird.

Really, if some guy wants to solve my problems, he can go right ahead on and solve them. Guys just want to tell you what to do. Not that THEY would do the same thing in the situation. It's funny. It makes me laugh.

Even my little brothers do that. They're 7.

Jacob doesn't try to solve my problems. He's a good listener.

Sharalen also shared a secret long forgotten: my first Barbie name. The name was "Sliver." Like the thing that gets stuck under your skin when you rub your hand on a raw piece of wood. Sharalen said I thought it was a pretty name. Actually, I never thought it was a pretty name. I remember naming my Barbie "Sliver," and wanting to change it. I'm pretty sure Melodie said, "Well, if you pick that name, you have to stick with it." I was encouraged to think it was a lovely name, anyway. I remember feeling confused as we played Barbies with a cardboard box being the house. We had little Barbie accessories, like a platter for a roast, and some candle sticks, and an ice tray. We also had dinner plates. All were real metal. Over the years they've gotten lost. But they were really cute. Anyway, Sharalen said that Mom told her that I chose "Sliver" as my Barbie's name, and not to make fun of me about it. Actually, that might have been BETTER, cause then I'd have known FOR SURE that it wasn't even a name!! Children are so gullible.

Sonnet named her pink stuffed cat "Morbo Daunted." Where she came up with that, I think I will never know. She thought it up, though. It's different when you're duped into thinking someone else's creation is fab. Melodie did that stuff to me all the time. I wasn't the kind of kid to catch on.

Sharalen and Sharlee and I had some pie I made that Sharalen bought. Mmm. It was nice and fresh, and CHOCOLATEY! Yes, the other baker and I decided it needed more of a chocolate flavor. We are awesome, pretty much.

I don't remember right off what all other things we talked about. There are a few, but not that I can really expound upon. My head is tired, besides. We chatted for about three hours.

Girls' Night Out is a great treat. I recommend it.

5 comments:

Rindee said...

3 hours of dinner, talking, and pie sound like a dream to me. I enjoy listening to Sharalen and Sharlee talk, too. I still don't feel experienced or wise enough to have anything worthwile to share, but I love to hear their advice. You are right about the differences between women and men. Women need Women, that's for sure. Women also need men. But there is something so fulfilling to me about spending time with ORTON women. That's why I vote for a bi-annual party...at least

Anonymous said...

I had so much fun last night, Bethani! Thanks for the brilliant soup recommendation! I hope that we didn't dominate too much. I'm afraid I do that sometimes, and kick myself later. Like right now!!

I also didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable about asking you about boy issues. And I don't even remember trying to give advice about that, but if I did and it wasn't what you needed to hear, I am sincerely sorry. I try not to pry too much when I sense you don't want to talk about something. I'm still learning! I guess that'll come with more time getting to know you.

Thanks for instilling confidence in me to start my blog. We'll see how it goes!

And can I just say that Rindee is super-cool?!

Tigerlilly said...

So, Rindee -- when's the next one? The last one was May. It seems like when school starts, the holidays start, and there is no time for anything. School starts, then Halloween (and all the costumes leading thereto, in varying degrees of stressage), then Thanksgiving (where travel gets to be an issue, and people have their own "traditions"), then it's December, with end-of-year concerts, recitals, and last-minute Christmas shopping and travel plans to see family in the horrible weather. January hits, and people are broke and tired. February is my favorite: Valentine's day is my favorite holiday, but no one thinks it's that much of an occasion. But I'm leaving my biased opinion out of this. Fact is, most married people will be doing "other things" (romantic dinners and kissing and reading conversation hearts to each other) and not wanting to have a girls' night out. March is when it starts slowing down. But April is when college gets out. So, we're back to May.

I'm one of those without kids, so I'm pretty flexible compared to the Orton moms, and I'd be supportive if they decided to have a party at the weirdest time of all (provided I was invited).

Sharalen, it's okay that you were interested in my "romantic life." I wasn't offended or really uncomfortable. I just felt like there wasn't much to say about it. This move for me has been stressful for both him and me, so I'm just trying to figure out where things are. We're celebrating our one-year anniversary on Saturday; I'm taking the night off. I don't know how we'll celebrate. I suggested going to Orem to the Storytelling Festival, but I don't think he went for it. I can't think of a different suggestion. Truth be told, I'm sick of eating, so going out to a restaurant isn't a treat for me. I'd better get back on the topic: Things are fine, I guess. More good than bad. But I think that's what I told you last night at dinner.

Don't worry about dominating the conversation. I ran out of things to say after, "The chicken cordon bleu soup is great."

Sharlee said...

Bethani! You are a very creative writer too! . I loved your interview story on here. It was fun to get the full details and after reading about both interviews, sounds like Crumb Brothers is perfect for you. How were your first couple of days? Hope it is as dreamy as you hoped. It sounds like they really take pride in their business and are super proffessional--that's partly what the difference is between them and the other joint.

Andrea said...

Hi. Hope I'm not intruding, but I can't help but blog-stalk - it's a secret (maybe not so secret) addiction of mine. You are too funny - I get a kick (and quite a few belly-jiggling laughs)out of your writing. I second (or are we on thirds now) the motion to have more cousin get-togethers, especially since I have missed all of them so far!