Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Days of Our Lives

I got a new planner for 2009. I have a hard time with planners because the week always starts on Monday, and I just don't think that way. Back in the olden days, I used a weekly planner that was about the size of a credit card and about a quarter-inch thick. That line has since discontinued the little planner (since 2008) and I've been forced to use the monthly ones, which are larger and they're basically a calendar stretched across two pages.

So, the planner I got for 2009 is a lovely one, and I have been excited to use it. I have learned in the past that, if I choose to have a planner I like, I have to buy it early -- before December. Otherwise the planners I get to choose from are those that no one else wanted (and for good reason!).

When I got home from the store with my perfect new planner, I unwrapped the plastic wrapping that encased it, and I began to look at the first couple pages (the one where you put your name and all personal information in all the blank lines, so someone can find it and steal your identity; the page with a world map with different time zones that no one ever looks at except when they first buy the planner, like I did; all the conversions of measurements, where they have all the ones you know but never the ones you need; a list of "traditional" and "modern" wedding gifts, where I've always wondered if it's the spouse that's supposed to give the gift, or is it the neighbor or friend? and what kind of gift is "paper"??). I kept turning the pages until I got to April, so I could write "General Conference" where it goes. I realized this General Conference that I always have to request that Saturday off at the last moment, because until about Thursday of that week, I've forgotten that I should have asked for work off -- and then there I am, scrambling around, trying to convince my employer that "I have church on Saturday, but only this Saturday. It's a special Saturday where we Mormons have church . . ." and I just feel like a bumbling goon. Well, more so than usual.

Something was hideously wrong with the calendar part of the planner. The weeks started with MONDAY!! Good grief, there's an "S" and the beginning and an "S" at the end, and a "W" right in the center. How can anyone mess THAT up?? I couldn't take it back to the store, because I took the wrapping off it. Arrgh.

So, Sunday before Church, I sat in the chapel as folks wandered in, and I changed 365 days, one number back. By hand. In addition, I had to cross every "Monday," "Tuesday," "Wednesday," "Thursday," "Friday," "Saturday," and "Sunday" out and write above it, "Sunday," "Monday," "Tuesday," "Wednesday," "Thursday," "Friday," and "Saturday."

And the first weekends in April and October, I marked "General Conference."

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm so glad to hear (read) this! I was honestly starting to wonder if I was going crazy, cause I SWEAR that all the calendars I ever saw growing up were one way, and now they are another. It is so confusing for a girl, don't you think? Yet another conspiracy (by whom I'm not sure) to destroy the peace of mind a lady should have after planning her schedule I say! I don't even know how many appointments I missed last year because I would casually glance at my calendar and THINK I knew which day something was happening, all the while forgetting that my scheming calendar had other things in mind!

Hopefully this little expose on the matter will blow it wide open and reveal it for what it is...just what, I'm not sure, but irritating none the less.

Sharlee said...

That's so funny that you wrote this--at our R.S. Presidency meeting on Tuesday we had a discussion about calendars that started with Monday--or was it at church--I can't remember. The point is, I don't think I even knew that those calendars exsited until then. Now I know and I will make sure I never pick one up. Thanks for sharing your funny experience.

Tigerlilly said...

I'm glad I'm not alone! :)