Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Socks for Christmas

Good grief. I can't believe how difficult it is to find a decent Christmas stocking pattern these days. You know, years ago, if you wanted to wear socks, you had to make them out of bias-cut woven fabric (which, I am told, are not comfortable) or you had to knit them yourself. (Or get a friend or close family member to do it for you -- or live in Hawaii and just wear sandals.) I bet everyone had a sock pattern sitting around SOMEplace.

Nowadays, knitting is an elitist activity. Nice yarn costs a fortune. The needles alone can cost as much as a new pair of jeans, sometimes. For sure, you can go to the craft store and find aluminum needles and acrylic yarn -- but having stitches fall off your needles (and enjoying the accompanying blisters on your fingers) is frustrating. And then you have a project finished with acrylic yarn, which catches on my fingers and snags. Plus, it pills and has an oily feeling. Acrylic is great for afghans, but little else I like to do.

I don't mind paying for nice bamboo needles I'll use again. Or for wool yarn in delightful muted shades. And I don't mind paying $20 for a pattern book, if it will have a few patterns I'll use. All these purchases combined cause me to eliminate other "frivolities," like groceries and doing laundry with the expensive coin-operated washers and dryers (and washing clothes in the bathtub is virtually free! Blowdrying them with a hair dryer and risking burning a hole in them is a concern, though). But sacrificing these money-wasters is worth it -- IF I can get tools and supplies that work for me.

I've searched so many pattern books, though, for the perfect sock pattern. I have a Christmas stocking pattern book I bought a couple years ago (and used a pattern from to make stockings for my parents' family they have home for Christmas). It was a good book. Still available, too. Problem is, my copy is in storage (in Oregon). "Storage" means that you paid for it once but don't really HAVE it, but someday will . . . when you own a house or something. Also, I wanted a different pattern to try, if I'm going to make a set for one of my sisters and each of her kids.

She gave me permission to make judgement calls on how they are going to look, in regards to colors and patterns. One of the cool things about this sister, is that she appreciates the thought, AND the gift! And when yarn costs what it does, and when knitting takes so long to do, she's the kind of recipient I like to make things for. She's not the kind of person to say, "Oh, what a nice thought," and then you never see it displayed in her house because she gave it to D.I. or some pet to eat up "accidentally," saying to herself, "It's the thought that counts." But knitting is a very labor-intensive activity, and takes a lot of time -- not only in the actual knitting of the project, but also in the 42 times you have to unravel parts that didn't "look right" and shopping for the nice yarn and looking for the "perfect pattern."

Well, finding the "perfect pattern" has proven to be a lost cause, so far. All I want to do is a stripey sock with a cute wedge-shaped heel and toe to use as the main color. You can find socks like that to WEAR. Machines know how to make those socks. Hand-knitted socks almost ALWAYS have this strange triangle-shaped gusset and a heel flap -- not a cute little wedge-shaped heel. Every dang book on the market has a pattern for a knitted bikini! Are ya CRAZY?? Who would wear one of those?? Put a drop of water on them, and they get saggy! It's got to be more embarrassing for the people who are trying to divert their eyes than for the wearer. But I digress. Why don't these pattern books have a decent sock pattern?

I'm sure it's a conspiracy. I'm taking it personally, too. I'm trying to think of something to do about it. I don't need a hundred patterns. I don't even need 1 1/2 patterns -- I just need ONE pattern! I've got a pattern someone found on the Internet, but I'll have to make all manner of adjustments to it (part of the time-consuming factor I mentioned above), by following the pattern once and then figuring out what was done and what to do, and then unraveling it and making the "real" one and writing a new pattern out. Not that I mind doing that -- I was happy to have even found a pattern with a cute wedge-shaped heel at all! But you know, just about every illustration of a Christmas scene with the fireplace in childrens' books have the cute stocking with a perfect wedge-shaped heel and toe in a contrasting color. I don't think I've ever seen a scene like that with knitted bikinis.

5 comments:

Sharlee said...

Alas, neither have I. It's a shame isn't it, since the patterns are so easy to find. Best wishes in your search. It is such a good cause, I'm sure luck will be on your side.

Mattie Rae said...

Knitting is an amazing skill. I've been thinking a lot about the old days compared to now. How some skills have been lost and how some skills have evolved into expesive hobbies.

Needless to say our priorities have changed a little in our society and it becomes obvious when you can find an abundance of patterns for knitting a bikini and can't find a decent pattern for practical socks.

Anonymous said...

I think you are a "find the joy in the doing" kind of gal. This is not me. In this situation, I'd skip the whole knitting thing and buy some - they're sure to be cheaper, and far less hassle to buy than make! But that's not what the gift is about. I get it. Good luck on the quest for the perfect sock pattern. Or, as a plan B, knit them all swimming suits, sew the openings closed, and put a hook on them to use instead of Christmas stockings: Christmas bikinis! Just fill them with candy and you're good to go!!

Tigerlilly said...

That leaves you with store-bought stockings, though, Sharalen. That's all fine, if the store has what you want. Stores never ask ME what I want. Making a custom gift makes it a custom gift -- the gift is as much your time and trouble as the actual object. It's a different way to give of yourself.

Anonymous said...

You are right, Bethani. I will openly admit that I am no good at any of the talents you so generously posess, and while I understand the "giving of yourself" concept, I can't really do anything at the level that people would actually appreciate (i.e. want). Perhaps I'm too impatient to learn (most likely too lazy); but the end result is the same: nothing. You have beautiful gifts, in addition to making beautiful gifts. Good luck in finding what you're looking for!